The FdV PhD program offers a limited number of fellowships to eligible candidates to fund their PhD studies. Fellowships are awarded according to the ranking of the candidates by the International Scientific Committee after the interviews. Since the graduate school will not be able to support all the eligible candidates, fellows and their supervisors are strongly encouraged to apply for funding from other institutions. Candidates that have already secured funding at the time of submitting their application will still be interviewed by the International Scientific Committee to determine their eligibility for the FdV PhD program.
Alternative funding sources
– The Paris Descartes University that hosts the FdV PhD program has listed many sources of possible fundings for a PhD in France.
– L’iEDU has published a summary of diverse funding opportunities on its website and offers a newsletter to keep informed. Listed fundings concern Master or PhD students, postdocs, researchers, etc.
– The IIFR offers partial funding for doctoral students within the Doctoral School 474 (FdV, CRI – Sorbonne Paris Cité). The selected projects will receive a thesis grant for 2 years (2/3 IIFR, 1/3 other to be found before the contract is signed). The application procedure is available online. Topics will include pedagogical innovation, learning through research, participatory science, games of scientific discovery, frugal science, artificial intelligence, robotics, virtual reality / augmented reality, big data, Disintermediation (blockchain).
The topic presented should include component (1) and one of the following two components:
1) an innovative or fundamental research component
2) a component on training and learning related to the previous component (pedagogical kit, creation of a course, a practical course, a game or a MOOC …)
3) a component on citizen engagement and scientific mediation (declination of a problematic as an open challenge, scientific discovery game, kit to collect and analyze data …)
These sources may be of interest to eager students who are researching funding sources.
Paris Region is funding PhD projects related to:
Deadline : April 19th, 2018
Le programme doctoral “thématique” cible les thématiques prioritaires pour le ministère, tout en offrant un cadrage suffisamment souple pour laisser une liberté de proposition aux candidats et aux écoles doctorales. Ce programme peut financer jusqu’à 6 allocations par an, pour une durée de 3 ans.
Le programme doctoral “innovation” vise à favoriser l’approche innovante, en sélectionnant des sujets libres, tant au niveau de la thématique d’études que de la démarche méthodologique ou de la dimension transdisciplinaire. Ce programme peut financer jusqu’à 3 allocations par an, pour une durée de 3 ans.
Deadline : May 6th, 2018
A call for a scientific project to introduce students (ENT interns, speech therapy students and hearing care professionals) to research.
Deadline : January 25th, 2018
Deadline : Monday, January 8th 2018, 5PM (Paris time)
Example of thesis topics:
Smart ways to use water in Paris and the impact of climate change
Social support to the radicalization phenomenon
The impact of a flood of the Seine on urban services
For thesis topics related to neuroscience.
For thesis topics related to agriculture, environmental sciences, food supply and their impact on society.
For thesis topics related to nano sciences, see full list here.