Students will learn how to identify their key skills and transform them into an offer of services.
Researchers have numerous technical skills, but also other “transferable” skills of which many people, including the researcher him/herself, are probably not aware. Such skills may include working in a multicultural environment, dealing with failure, communicating efficiently, etc. Presenting these skills as an offer of services will improve job search prospects, as employers are not necessarily looking for precise transferable skills, but for what services researchers can offer them. At the end of the training session, students will learn to identify their key skills and to presenting them concisely as an offer of services.
The three day workshop will cover:
- Overview of your skills
- Identifying your unique selling points
- A systematic method to back-up your skills: the sales pitch
- Transforming your skills into an offer of service
- Showcasing your skills in a job application
- Showcasing your skills in a social network
- Designing and using your “elevator pitch”
This course will require students to work outside of the designated meeting times. Students should only register for this course if they are prepared to do that work.